To breed turtles in Minecraft, follow these steps:
- Find two turtles: Turtles can be found in the Beach biome, either on the beach or swimming in the water.
- Collect seagrass: You will need seagrass to feed the turtles. To collect seagrass, craft shears and use them to mine seagrass found in most bodies of water.
- Feed the turtles: Approach the two turtles and feed them seagrass. To do this, right-click on each turtle with the seagrass in your hand (Java Edition), tap on the turtles one at a time (Pocket Edition), or use the appropriate controller button for your platform. Red hearts will appear above their heads, indicating they are in love mode.
- Wait for the eggs: After the turtles have entered love mode, one of them will become larger and carry eggs. Follow this turtle, as it will swim back to the spot where it originally spawned and lay a few eggs on the sand.
- Collect the eggs (optional): If you want to collect the eggs, you can do so using the Silk Touch enchantment on a tool. Without Silk Touch, you will break the egg.
- Protect the eggs: Turtle eggs are fragile and can be destroyed by mobs. Protect the eggs until they hatch into baby turtles.
- Speed up baby turtle growth: Feeding seagrass to baby turtles will speed up their growth by 10% and help them reach adulthood faster.
Once the baby turtles grow into adults, they will drop scutes, which can be used for crafting turtle shells and brewing potions.