Roblox Studio is a free development program that allows you to create and share games on the Roblox platform. To get started with Roblox Studio, follow these steps:
- Download and install Roblox Studio: Go to roblox.com/create and click on the “Start Creating” button to download the software. Install it on your computer and log in with your Roblox account.
- Create a new project: Open Roblox Studio and click on “New” in the upper left-hand corner. You’ll see various templates to choose from. To start with a blank canvas, select the “Baseplate” template.
- Navigate the 3D viewport: Use the following controls to navigate the 3D viewport in Roblox Studio:
- W – Forward
- A – Left
- S – Back
- D – Right
- Right Mouse Button – When pressed, dragging the mouse moves the camera view around
- Mouse Scroll Wheel – Zooms the camera in or out
- Create and edit objects: Use the toolbar at the top of the screen to access various tools for creating and editing objects in your game. You can create platforms, obstacles, and other elements using Studio’s primary building blocks. Learn functions such as Move, Scale, and Rotate to shape objects and parts to create visually dynamic environments.
- Playtest your game: Click the “Play” button in the top toolbar to test your game. This will allow you to play the game as a player would, helping you identify any issues or improvements needed. To stop playtesting, click the “Stop” button.
- Scripting: Roblox Studio uses the Lua programming language for scripting. You can find beginner guides to scripting on the Roblox Wiki and various YouTube tutorials.
- Publish your game: Once you’re satisfied with your game, you can publish it to the Roblox platform, making it available for everyone to play. To do this, click on “File” in the top left corner, then click “Publish to Roblox”.
For more detailed tutorials and guides, consider checking out online courses, YouTube videos, and blog posts. These resources can help you learn more about Roblox Studio’s features and how to create more complex games.